Thursday, September 22, 2011

For those of you who call people "retards", last night changed my life.?

%26quot;Retard%26quot; is a very commonly mis-used word.

I used to say it all of the time, not in an offensive way making fun of mentally retarded people, but just using it as a casual remark. For instance %26quot;Wow, this is retarded!%26quot;, %26quot;Oh-em-gee I'm so retarded!%26quot;



Last night, I went with my two best friends to an arcade/pizza place.

There was this giant claw machine, with giant stuffed animals in it.

One of my friends and I won a stuffed animal out of there, so later on we came back to it to try to get my other friend a toy.

They fell behind as I was walking towards the claw machine, but I kept going.

When one of my friends caught up with me, we saw this man, in hiker boots and shorts, a camera around his neck, and he was playing the claw machine very seriously.

I started to whisper to my friend %26quot;Is he like the claw machine Master or something?%26quot;

He rounded the corner all the way around it, I heard cheering coming from a woman and someone who sounded like a toddler when the claw picked up a big bear, but then it dropped it and the man didn't get the giant toy.

I walked up to the claw machine, and started helping my friend with it so she could win something. The same man walked around next to us, and started talking to someone on the other side.

I guess I looked at him funny cause I didn't know who he was talking to, and he said %26quot;Sorry! I was just talking to my daughter.%26quot;

I noticed a girl, about my age (13), GORGEOUS face, BEAUTIFUL hair, and she was handicapped in a wheelchair.

She had this plastic brace around her torso, strapping her in, her hands were kind of curled upwards a little bit, and her mouth was wide open with a huge smile. She had some drool dripping from her mouth, too.

After my friend and I stopped with the claw machine, my other friends mom walked up, and started to try to get something out of it.

I looked over at the handicapped girl's family, the dad was telling his girl that they would try to get her a stuffed animal later.

The biggest look of disappointment and confusion struck her face.



Then, my friend's mom walked over, and gave the girl one of the giant teddy bears.

She had won it, for her.

The look on the girls face was indescribable.

It made me think: we always use the word %26quot;retarded%26quot; like its nothing. Imagine how the FAMILY would feel, having their daughter be like that. Imagine how HARD it would be to grow up a normal life.

And imagine if you had someone like that in your family.



Some people might not find this as moving as I did, but I guess if you were there and watching it happen it would be life-changing.



For those of you who call people %26quot;retards%26quot;, last night changed my life.?
a lot of reading and no question. this sort of thing is what blogs are for.For those of you who call people %26quot;retards%26quot;, last night changed my life.?
Wow you sound really smart and level-headed.It really makes me think...how could I say that?I feel horrible for ever misusing it.You're right, if I had a family member like that it would be terrible to hear someone practically mocking it. For those of you who call people %26quot;retards%26quot;, last night changed my life.?
Omg.

Thats just..wow

I always say the word

I guess I just have to think twiceFor those of you who call people %26quot;retards%26quot;, last night changed my life.?
Ya I don't think I will say that againFor those of you who call people %26quot;retards%26quot;, last night changed my life.?
I agree. I have a disabled cousin who uses braces on his legs. Society shunned him. He's picked on by his class on a daily basis and even though he has no damage in his brain and he's actually very smart, his classmates call him a retard. He's one of the brightest kids I know and he won't accept the fact that he's fine, but physically disabled. Also, I have a friend, in his twenties who's mentally handicapped. He's one of the sweetest guys I know. I didn't realize his condition until I started to talk to him and got to know him well. I don't insult people for the fun of it, but things slip sometimes. I won't use that word anymore...For those of you who call people %26quot;retards%26quot;, last night changed my life.?
The girl probably had cerebral palsy and may not have been retarded at all. Not using the word retarded is a good thing but do not assume that everyone who is disabled is also a %26quot;retarded%26quot; person. Many people are severely disabled and have very sharp minds even though they appear and express themselves as if they don't.For those of you who call people %26quot;retards%26quot;, last night changed my life.?
This is so refreshing. People don't realize the impact that it has on others when they throw around terms like retard and stupid. I don't allow it to be used in my house. I am so happy that you experienced a life changing event like this. You will find that you are a much better person.For those of you who call people %26quot;retards%26quot;, last night changed my life.?
after reading and answering so many questions here this one will stick with me.Just to know that there is still some kindness in this crazy world we live in makes this so refreshing.Thanks for bringing something human to this form.For those of you who call people %26quot;retards%26quot;, last night changed my life.?
i'm so glad you took the time to notice this special girl. you should be prud of yourself. my partner is disabled he was born with his disability and now is a permanent wheelchair user due to amputation of both his legs hrough the knees and it really gets me down when people stare and whisper and laugh, teenagers adults and kids who are so full of ignorance. i always wondered if they ever thought about it. if they had disabled children would the laugh and jeer at them? no, they would protect them from the ignorance of others. i appreciate you taking your time to write what you did. you are an inspiration to me and have given me a glimmer of hope that not all people out there are so unkind. I hope that other people read this and get inspiration from you and the next time they think of using that word or sneering at a disabled person they actually think %26quot;what if that happend to me or my children of my family%26quot;. Thank you you have truely made my day. : )For those of you who call people %26quot;retards%26quot;, last night changed my life.?
I'll try to stop,

it's just like how i don't use gay or f** (never used the f one) anymore, it's just terrible how people don't even seem to care,
  • What duvet cover would go best
  • How do I wash and dry my duvet cover
  •